Monday, November 18, 2013

Press Makes a Record Release Feel Real

East Bay Express logo from lisabmusic com
All Music Guide logo from lisabmusic blogAs a very-indie musical artist, it's hard to know when I'm succeeding, failing, or treading water. How do I measure success, whether artistically, commercially, or even in terms of impact on listeners?
Jazzreview.com logo from lisabmusic blog

Midwest Record review from lisabmusic blog




Cat Fancy magazine logo from lisabmusic blog
Los Angeles Times logo from lisabmusic blog
Because I started out as a poet and writer, one measure I've always prized is what reviewers have said about me in print (which includes text online). And I've paid a pretty penny to help garner their opinions, by hiring excellent publicists to reach out to them and serve as neutral though trusted advocates, though I've also contacted a number of reviewers and publications myself.
Courier-Journal logo from lisabmusic blog

Seattle Post-Intelligencer logo from lisabmusic blog



Jazz Times logo from lisabmusic blog
Jazziz logo from lisabmusic blogAs part of looking back on my life in the music-business trenches, the other night I went through the press page on my website and looked at all the reviews of my five CDs released since 1999, adding many of the publications' logos to the site. It was fun and made their reviews seem more real to me again, with a welcome distance from the tortured immediate post-release phase when I was hoping someone would get and like the record. 


Philadelphia Daily News logo from lisabmusic blog
All About Jazz logo from lisabmusic blog
Check it out if you'd like: http://lisabmusic.com/press_quotes.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your voice!